Your wedding DJ will play an important role in your wedding and reception. Its main objective is to make sure that you and your guests have a good time, since quite often the music is what they will talk about and if the DJ was good or not. Here are some useful tips to help you get started:
1. Do you return your phone calls or emails quickly? You should expect to receive a response within 24 hours. Often DJs will be working on an event that will not end until late. So wait for a call the next day.
2. Do you like the person? First impressions still count. Choosing the person who “feels good” is one of the most important factors when choosing the right animator for reception.
3. Talk to friends and family to get referrals. You will find someone who has used a good DJ or who has been in a good club in the past.
4. Think about the price. As nightly entertainment is often one of the last things you reserve, it can be tempting to go for the cheapest one. Make sure the price is not the only thing you are using to choose your DJ.
5. Can you provide evidence of previous work? This could be photos or videos from another part, or even better, comments on a Facebook page of satisfied customers can be a good guide.
Another important part of choosing the right person for you is the meeting with the DJ. Along with the 5 tips listed above, be sure to check with a selection of questions you want to ask. By ordering them in advance, you are more likely to remember them. There is nothing worse than thinking about things you wanted to ask, 2 hours later. Questions could include:
What type of equipment do you use for the club (speakers, lights, etc.)?
What will you wear? (Make sure he knows how you want him to dress).
How do you choose music?
Do you have a wide variety of songs available?
Can I provide a list of songs that I do not want to be played?
How often will you need to take a break during the night?
Will you play music during these breaks?
Some companies have more than one DJ working for them. What DJ will be at my wedding?
Will you need a tablecloth for your table?
While the guests arrive and during the cocktail hour and meal, will they play music?
Do you provide a wireless microphone to use in speeches?
How much time will you need to set up your equipment?
A good DJ can be a good reception, great, so make sure you take the time to choose the right one.